Resources on SLAPP suits (lawsuits targeting the First Amendment)
- Texas’ Anti-SLAPP Law
- The Public Participation Project- an effort to get a federal Anti-SLAPP law passed.
- The First Amendment Project: Anti-SLAPP Resource Center
- SLAPP Happy- List of Corporations that Sue to Shut You up- by the Center for Media and Democracy’s PR Watch
- California Anti-SLAPP Project
- Media Law Resource Center’s list of Legal Actions Against Bloggers
- The Citizen Media Law Project’s list of state Anti-SLAPP laws
- The Newsroom Law Blog’s Overview of Anti-SLAPP law
Other First Amendment Resources
- The Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas
- The First Amendment Toolbox from the Society of Professional Journalists
- The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (they also have a legal hotline for journalists)
- Online Media Legal Network
If you have been sued:
If you need a lawyer in Texas to help you with a SLAPP suit or a threat of a SLAPP suit:
- Laura Prather is the Austin First Amendment attorney who led the effort to pass the Texas Anti-SLAPP law.
- Arif Panju is an attorney with the Institute for Justice and is currently defending author Carla Main in her SLAPP suit.
- Alicia Wagner Calzada is an attorney who worked on the Texas Anti-SLAPP law and is the author of this blog.